Monday, July 6, 2015

Post Mission Update, Reflection, Goals

Hi all,

I just wanted to take the time to thank each and every single one of you for your abundant love and support for allowing me to be a part of this year's missions in sharing the Gosepl in Sensok, Cambodia. I certainly had an amazing and blessed time teaching the children English, building a new playground, visiting the families in the nearby village, and hearing the remarkable testimonies of Pastor Hung and his wife Co Trang's ministry. 

As I am slowly adjusting to life back here in Southern California, I am constantly being reminded of what God is doing half a world away. Through these reminders, I am realizing just how much distractions are present in our first world nation (worldly possessions, career, money, etc). For some reason, I can't help but feel guilty when I seek to purchase things for myself and when materialistic ambitions arise. I believe that I am currently undergoing some spiritual warfare and Satan is placing doubts and worldly temptations in front of me to keep me away from God, so please continue to keep me in your prayers! It's not wrong to enjoy God's blessings but I believe there's a threshold to that enjoyment (to the point where it becomes an idol). As I have learned in Cambodia, idolatry is the root of many sins and I must make sure that I continue to reevaluate my intentions and walk with the Lord daily in order to stay attuned to his will for me. It has definitely been a bit harder acknowledging God's presence with all these distractions but I am encouraged to know that he will never fail me nor abandon me (Hebrews 13:5). Although I am weak... Christ has redeemed me and I pray he will continue to use me as a light to my family, friends, and co-workers. 

Coming back from Cambodia, I have been refreshed spiritually and God has placed some convictions in my heart to be faithful as a leader at AKPC. Although we are small in number, I believe God intends for our church to really persevere and develop character. Through suffering, we should continue to rely on Christ for strength. God desires for us to develop a strong foundation rooted in his word so that we may be able to bear fruit (not for ourselves but for him). Even though it may seem daunting and tough, I am determined to obey. I have learned that faith produces action but action without faith is nonsensical and ultimately destructive to the church. Thus, I know God is in control and I will not let my pride and feelings of inadequacy prevent him from moving our church. Please continue to pray for me as I go about my daily life here! 

With much love,

Jerry