Friday, June 19, 2015

Cambodia Missions Update

Hi all,
It has been six days since we first set foot in Sen Sok and I can wholeheartedly say that I have been tremendously blessed to be a part of God's plan in Cambodia so far. During the first couple of days here, I assisted the ministry by constructing a playground for the children. Despite the constant humidity and spontaneous out-pours of rain, God has been teaching me that the little things matter and that patience is necessary to see his big picture.
As I was adjusting to the weather and schedule here, internally there was an ongoing strife between my self-interests and what God wanted. I was struggling with discomfort (unclean water, insects, language barrier) and doubts about my own abilities to serve. I wasn't serving with the right heart until I heard Tony talk to us about how our pride may be an impediment to us serving with the right intentions. In my head, I kept thinking about what I could do to improve the lives here with what I can offer. However, God really humbled me as he revealed to me in my heart that the victory has already been won and that we should simply rejoice and be blessed. God helped me realize that he is completely in control and that all I have to do is obey. It has been an absolute joy serving and enduring with my brothers and sisters.
1 Corinthians 12:26 "And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it."
Ultimately, God has been teaching me to rejoice in him daily and to seek delight in him. In the process of finding joy in Jesus, I am beginning to learn more about how to lose myself in order to find out who God created me to be. Patiently, I am learning how to trust in God's plan, not mine!
- Jerry